Mother’s Day 2022 is fast approaching – and if you don’t already have your plans together, it’s time to start thinking about them.
Mother’s Day has been officially celebrated in the United States as a national holiday since 1914 – and we’re not about to stop now. It’s the one day of the year that moms get a bit of recognition for everything they do for their loved ones all year long.
Before you rush out to get flowers and a card, however, hold up: What most moms really want is your time. Here are some things that you can do with mom this year that will really impress her:
Take Mom Out for a Delicious Bite to Eat
As a whole, all of the major “foodie” spots in Indy seem to throw out all the stops for Mother’s Day – but whether you’re looking for an intimate table for two or you’re planning on bringing the whole family, it pays to get your reservations early.
Some of this year’s hot spots for Mother’s Day brunch (or dinner) include:
- Fogo de Chao – This Brazilian steakhouse offers an upscale experience with the meat freshly carved right at your table, and they’re taking reservations for both brunch and dinner on May 8th.
- LouVino – If your mom appreciates Southern-inspired food and a fabulous array of wines, craft beers and other spirits, this is the place to claim a table for brunch or dinner.
- Ruth’s Chris Steak House – Can’t decide if you want steak or seafood? Who says mom has to choose? The food and the award-winning curated wine list are perfect for a Mother’s Day feast.
- Grindstone on the Monon – If you’re looking for contemporary American fare and a great place to relax and watch the world go by, don’t hesitate to book a table for Mother’s Day here.
- Conner Prairie – This is a great spot to go for Mother’s Day brunch, especially if you have kids in mixed age groups and want to make a day of it. Conner Prairie offers all kinds of interesting spots to explore, a great farmer’s market and more, all of which is bound to delight everybody in the family (especially mom).
If your mom isn’t exactly fond of crowds, that’s okay, too: Indy has some of the best carry-out in the country. You can gather up everybody’s food order and grab food to-go from some of the area’s finest eateries instead of dining in.
Spend Time Doing Something Uniquely Interesting with Mom
Is your mom the sort who never stops living and learning? If so, consider going a little bit off the beaten path for Mother’s Day this year. The Indiana State Museum is offering high tea lunch (along with a historical lecture on the history of tea that’s bound to both captivate and educate) and a tour of the museum’s gardens.
If that’s not something that might appeal to your mom, try one of these ideas, instead:
- Paint & Karaoke – Held at Ode’s Event Center and hosted by DJ Jerry Wade of 106.7 TFLC with guest host Muffy Cakes, the doors open at 6 p.m. and the fun starts at 6:45. If your mom has always had an artistic bent (or just wants something to take home to mark the occasion), this will completely touch her heart – and you’re bound to have a lot of fun!
- Craft and Canvas – Books and Brews is holding a family-friendly (kids welcome) event for Mother’s Day which can also give your mom a chance to express her artistic side. They’re holding their event a bit late (May 14th), so it’s perfect if you can’t get together with mom on the 8th.
- 5K Wine Run – Does your mom like a friendly challenge? If your mom is active and likes to walk or run, head over to Blackhawk Winery on Mother’s Day from 9-11 a.m. to take part in a 5K walk/run. There’s free swag, music and – of course – plenty of wine and refreshments.
- Paper Flower Making – Newfields is always a great place to go with family, and mom will deeply appreciate the beauty of The Garden (now that all the spring blooms have sprung). You’ll also have a chance to get photos with your mom, learn more about the history of the place and listen to live music as you step into the studio with Stephen Brooks to learn the fine art of paper flower-making.
- String Art Sunday – String art is fun, cool and not exactly something that you have to study for a long time to get right. The Pearl Street Pizzeria & Pub in Fishers is hosting a family-friendly event where you can learn this unique art form on May 1, from 1-4 p.m.
Keep in mind that this list is – by no means – definitive. If you call around to some of your favorite local spots, you’ll find all kinds of special events honoring all the many women who have worn the title of “mom” over the years.
Indulge Mom’s Sensitive and Quiet Side
If you’re still not sure that any of these things are right for your mom, you can always make the day very personal. You can spend time with her doing whatever she likes, or maybe suggest something like:
- Explore the Cultural Trail: You can make it a low-key day where you shop, walk, people-watch and just explore some of the city together.
- Go to the Park Together: Indiana is home to some of the most fascinating parks in the nation. If your mom could benefit from a little time getting “back to nature,” consider a hike – or even just a picnic.
- Go to the Movies: Indy happens to have several luxury theaters, so see what’s playing and see if anything interests your mom. Just remember – you have to treat her to the popcorn!
Ultimately, whatever you decide to do, your mom will love and appreciate the gesture – especially if it comes with a big hug and a kiss.