Rescue crews continue to search through the rubble, but now do so without hope of finding anyone alive under the collapsed Champlain Towers South oceanfront condo tower in Surfside, the town immediately north of Miami Beach. Part of the apartment building with 12 residential floors collapsed June 24. The rest was demolished Sunday night.
People with loved ones at the condo, missing or safe, should call 305-614-1819 to notify officials. Anyone who lives at the Champlain Towers and is safe is asked to complete a Wellness Check form to help Miami-Dade County keep track of tenants.
Here’s what we know so far on Thursday, July 8…
NIST investigates collapse, asks public for photos and videos to aid them
As the National Institute of Standards and Technology continues its investigation into the partial collapse of Champlain Towers South, they have begun asking the public to submit any media or documentation that
The family of Breonna Taylor, a black woman who was killed by police in Louisville, Kentucky, have agreed a multimillion-dollar settlement with the city, US media report.
Ms Taylor, 26, was shot eight times when officers entered her home on 13 March during a drugs investigation.
Her name has featured prominently in anti-racism protests around the world in recent months.
The settlement will reportedly be announced later on Tuesday.
It includes a “substantial” payment and will also mandate a series of police reforms in the city, the local Courier Journal newspaper reports.
These are believed to include a requirement that all search warrants are approved by a senior officer, the newspaper says.
The settlement is reported to be one of the largest financial sums paid in a police misconduct case.
Ms Taylor’s killing was propelled into the spotlight once again with the death George Floyd, an African American man who
AUSTIN, Texas – Military investigators searching for the body of U.S. Army Spc. Vanessa Guillen overlooked evidence that could have led to the discovery of her remains a week sooner – and brought resolution to her heartbroken family, the leader of a team of civilian searchers said Friday.
The 20-year-old soldier disappeared from Fort Hood in Texas on April 22, sparking international attention.
Tim Miller, founder of the civilian group EquuSearch, said his crew discovered a pile of burned debris June 21 at a rural highway intersection about 20 miles away from Fort Hood and steps from the Leon River.
Miller said he pleaded with Army officials to search the site more thoroughly that day. Military investigators, he said, instead focused their search on the nearby river. More than a week later, construction workers came upon Guillen’s remains in the very spot Miller said military investigators overlooked.
- I-T officials search Sonu Sood’s properties in Mumbai, Nagpur and Jaipur on Day 3
- In rare ruling, Maine supreme court overturns Limington man’s murder conviction
- FBI answers Crystal Rogers search questions
- Incredible moment 3-year-old boy with autism is found alive in Australian woods days after going missing
- Who pays for property repairs after the FBI’s recent Crystal Rogers search? | News